DR - 26481
£21.52 per hour
Contract until March 2023
35 hours per week
There will late finishes of 6pm and a requirement to work a Saturday one week and a Sunday another week with the 3rd weekend off.
About the company
Our client, a high performing public library service which is very well regarded within the community has the need for an Operations Officer to provide a high quality customer focused Library and Information Service in accordance with the Council’s vision, key priorities and service core principles:
To deliver excellent customer care and engage with communities to promote a love of reading and learning and the full range of library services.
To understand, support and develop different ways of accessing library services and deliver the digital-by-default and the government’s assisted digital agendas.
Work within a designated team to deliver library services and act as the face of the service to all residents.
To work towards improving service delivery and service performance.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
•Lead and manage the effective and efficient operation of library services to ensure excellent customer service.
•Operationally implement practices and procedures related to the organisations digital-by-default and the government’s assisted digital agendas.
•Support colleagues in delivering digital and information services.
•Manage allocated staff to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of services. Undertake PES interviews and any other processes associated with human resource management to ensure continuity of service delivery.
•Motivate staff and ensure training needs are identified and met in the most appropriate way.
•Ensure library spaces look welcoming and attractive at all times allocating staff as necessary.
•Ensure buildings delivering services are maintained and managed according to requirements and Health and Safety standards.
•Work with colleagues to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of services.
•Ensure targets for service delivery are met against specified outputs and outcomes.
•Ensure all accurate statistical information is returned and reported to senior managers when requested.
•Be responsible for overseeing that financial procedures such as cash handling and banking are done to required standards.
•Ensure all stock related activity is delivered in accordance with specified targets, expectations and outcomes.
•Working with colleagues, ensure access to reading and learning opportunities for both adults and children.
•Work with the Outreach Officer to engage with community groups, providing advice as appropriate.
•In collaboration with the Outreach Officer, co-ordinate, timetable and manage work in the community
•To maintain an awareness of changes in the population to inform effective service delivery.
•In consultation with senior managers, implement and deliver public services which meet the needs and expectations of communities and other stakeholders.
•To use library IT systems as required.
•To deputise for senior managers as directed.
•Maintain an awareness of developments and trends both in the library and information world.
•To participate in relevant staff and corporate development activities and to develop new skills and competencies to meet the changing needs of the service.
•Follow guidelines that ensure staff comply to Data Protection and other statutory requirements. Take reasonable measures to ensure the safety of members of the public, staff and partners.
•Undertake other duties, commensurate with the grade, as may reasonably be required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Chartered or qualified Librarian or must have experience of working in a public library or
• Previous experience and knowledge of library & information services
• Strong knowledge and experience of the basic routines of a library & information service
• Previous experience of managing / supervising staff
• Excellent knowledge of the delivery of digital services
• Ability to work on own initiative without direct supervision
• Good organisational skills and excellent attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Excellent customer care skills
• Strong knowledge and use of of ICT packages and digital resources
• Able to work library hours including late nights and weekends.
• Able to attend, as required meetings, courses or events outside normal working hours and outside the borough to fulfil the needs of the post.
• Staff are expected to work flexibly across the Service in any location as required.