DR - 26479
020 7378 5459
Until End of March 2023
£12.98 per hour
Contracts until March 2023
35 hours per week
There will late finishes of 6pm and a requirement to work a Saturday one week and a Sunday another week with the 3rd weekend off.
Possible Part Time options of Friday 9-6 / Saturday 9-5 / Sunday 10-4 but that would be the same for the whole contract so no weekends off
About the company
Our client, a high performing public library service which is very well regarded within the community has the need for Library Assistants to assist with the provision of this borough-wide service, ensuring a high level of effective customer service by carrying out a range of administrative duties to facilitate the libraries’ day to day operation.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Be the first point of contact for the public in libraries and support users to make best use of the range of services available
• Proactively welcome and engage customers in library spaces and community settings
• Work within a designated team to deliver library services and ensure delivery of the digital-by-default and the government’s assisted digital agendas
• Deliver excellent customer care through floor walking and actively promoting the joy of reading and the full range of library services to customers
• Assist users in making effective use of the Library & Information Service, maintaining a high standard of personal customer care in all contact with service users
• Respond to enquiries from the public, assisting where possible, signposting to other services and referring on any unresolved queries to a more senior officer
• Utilise a range of IT skills to undertake appropriate duties efficiently and effectively and provide support to the public in their use of IT resources
• Ensure the public have access to all resources by maintaining good order. This includes the shelving and tidying of stock
• Ensure the space always looks welcoming and attractive
• Undertake on a rota basis under five sessions, liaising with schools as appropriate in order to facilitate class visits to the library, including providing library inductions, helping to class to select books and reading stories as required
• Undertake accurate cash handling and participate in the accounting and the reconciliation of various sources of income on behalf of the Library & Information Service and in accordance with financial regulations
• Undertake the necessary routines and processes to ensure that new stock is available to the public promptly
• Support the management of stock through the use of Collection HQ and similar tools as directed
• Carry out procedures for the control, loan and exchange of stock between libraries
Qualifications and Experience
• Previous experience and knowledge of library & information services
• Strong knowledge and experience of the basic routines of a library & information service
• Excellent knowledge of the delivery of digital services
• Good knowledge and organisation of stock categories and materials within a library
• Ability to work on own initiative without direct supervision
• Good organisational skills and excellent attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Excellent customer care skills
• Strong knowledge and use of of ICT packages and digital resources
• Able to work library hours including late nights and weekends.
• Able to attend, as required meetings, courses or events outside normal working hours to fulfil the needs of the post.
• Staff are expected to work flexibly across the Service in any location as required.