£12.88 per hour
14 hours a week
Contract until end of July 2019
About the company
A London based, highly regarded, higher education client has a requirement for a Library Assistant to cover on a temporary basis until the end of July 2019 working within Collection Services due to the migration to ALMA Library Management System.
What you’ll be doing
Collections Services is responsible for the provision of books, journals and other materials required to support research and teaching and learning within the organisation and the main purpose of this role is to assist with data cleansing. The post holder may also be asked to perform more general acquisitions duties as specified below.
- Checking orders for e-resources on Alma and ensuring they are associated with the correct e-resource/collection.
- Creating book and journal orders using Alma
- Activating e-resources in the correct packages in Alma
- Checking invoices for accuracy and recording details of invoices on Alma
- Arriving books or journals into the library and updating the order status and item records on Alma and other databases.
- Checking the stock on the open shelves and updating the holding/item records on Alma
- Obtaining bibliographic records from external databases for inclusion on Alma or creating basic records where none are available (in line with in-house basic cataloguing guidelines).
- Assessment and editing of bibliographic and holdings records (in line with in-house basic cataloguing guidelines).
- Written and oral communication and liaison with staff from other Library Services teams (particularly stock selection teams), external vendors and library users (in line with Library Services Customer Service Excellence standards).
- Checking and responding to reports generated by Alma in connection with the arrival of library print materials
- Keeping statistics of activities undertaken
- Attendance at, and contribution to, team meetings.
- To carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Assistant Director, senior staff acting as Duty Officer or the Director of Library Services.
- The post holder will actively follow policies including Equal Opportunities policies and be expected to give consideration within their role as to how they can actively advance equality of opportunity and good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- The post holder will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations and may be required to undertake Fire Marshal duties, after appropriate training.
- This job description reflects the present requirements of the post, and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
Why you’ll be hired
To be considered for this role you will:
- 5 A*- C GCSEs or equivalent
- Experience of using the Alma library management system, particularly in relation to Acquisitions and/or administration of electronic resources
- Experience of Acquisitions work, or of administration of electronic resources
- Experience of working in an academic library/information environment
- Experience of using electronic journals
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail, especially when working on repetitive tasks
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to prioritise and manage a range of tasks
- Ability and willingness to acquire new skills
- Ability to work independently when required
Why you should apply
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a highly regarded, higher educational client
This role is paying a very competitive salary of £12.88 per hour
If you are interested in learning more: Please get in touch on 020 7378 5459 or on email@example.com