£31,000 Pro rata
Permanent - Part Time
Librarian – Part Time
£31,000 Pro Rata
2.5 days per week, flexible hours
The Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (HLSI) is seeking a qualified Librarian to manage and operate their library - the focal point of this unique and historic organisation. HLSI supports the local community through an ever-evolving programme of events and activities, and for its many active members, it is at the heart of their cultural and social life.
Founded in 1839 in Highgate, North London, HLSI is an independent organisation funded by membership subscriptions and the income from its activities. A lending library, an archive and lectures have been at the core of HLSI from the start. A large number of members volunteer to support HLSI’s many current activities, including the library.
The Librarian will be responsible for the selection, ordering, accessioning, cataloguing and classification of books and other material for the library. The Librarian will raise the profile of the library and promote its resources for both independent learning and reading for pleasure.
The library has some 25,000 books available for members to borrow and the lending collection is constantly updated, covers a wide range of subjects and includes a children’s corner. The library is a member of the Independent Libraries Association.
As the only member of library staff, you will be self-motivated and capable of all aspects of running a modern library including:
· Selection, ordering, accessioning, cataloguing and classification of books and other material for the library
· Stock management: reviewing of existing stock, assessing the need for repairs and stock disposals
· Maintaining the library as an inviting and orderly resource for members and visiting members of the public, complying with health and safety requirements
· Maintaining the library webpage on the website (WordPress) and the online library catalogue (Heritage Cirqa)
· Reporting to management on library activities and statistics
· Answering members’ enquiries and representing then to the wider public
· Supporting and managing volunteers for all library routines and assisting in their recruitment and training
· Looking for initiatives for promoting the library, such as book events and author visits
· Maintaining and safeguarding the special collections and providing access to members and the general public
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Previous experience as a qualified Librarian with the ability to apply this knowledge and skill within the wider community
· Experience of Heritage Cirqa (or a comparable library system)
· Good communication skills and a high standard of customer care
· Excellent organisational skills and good IT skills
· Ability to work as part of a team as well as individually, following guidelines and instructions
· Courteousness with colleagues, members and visitors, providing a welcoming environment
· Care and attention to detail and a proactive approach to work
· Readiness to work flexible hours as negotiated
Experience with volunteers
Knowledge of Data Protection
· Experience of using WordPress would be an advantage, although training will be provided