DR - 26309
£30,732 pro rata
£30,732 pro rata
6 Month Fixed Term Contract
35 hours a week
Jan 2022 Start
Site based position
About the company
Sue Hill Recruitment are delighted to be working with this Education provider who are seeking a Qualified Librarian to provide assistance with a backlog of work due to long term sick leave.
The role actively supports teaching, learning and research through a full range of professional activities including selection and preparation of materials and maintenance of collections, development and exploitation of electronic and print resources and delivery of these resources to users.
The postholder will continue to develop their experience and understanding within the higher education sector to ensure the provision of a quality service. The role holder will be required to plan and progress/organise the work of others within a defined/discrete area or as a project leader within clearly defined procedures/objectives. Role holders will be required to work closely and flexibly with Reader Services and other colleagues.
What you will be doing
• Select and acquire appropriate materials in line with the collection development policy and within the available budget allocation.
• Undertake cataloguing and classification of material in collaboration with others as appropriate and to participate in the physical maintenance of stock including preservation, relegation and disposal.
• Deal with and respond to reference enquiries and other information services working collaboratively with Reader Services colleagues
• Demonstrate an awareness of information sources in the relevant subject fields, to develop and present information skills training
• Develop guides to services and resources, to maintain web pages as appropriate
• Provide specialist/professional advice and recommendations within specific parameters/professional guidelines to support informed decision making
• Work collaboratively with all colleagues across LLRED (Library, Learning, Research and Enterprise Directorate) to bring together the wider programme of activities. Notably, to practice a matrix reporting line across the library and special collections and more widely with other managers across LLRED to drive efficiency and reduce single points of failure across our suite of services.
• Prepare a range of papers, reports, letters, spreadsheets, databases and other statistical analyses and set up new information systems as appropriate putting forward recommendations through the provision of advice, briefings, presentations or written reports to facilitate the interpretation of specific issues/problems and support decision making.
• With support from the Health & Safety Manager, act as a Departmental Safety Representative in accordance with the Health & Safety Policy, including managing the Department's risk assessments (such as Display Screen Equipment, Overseas Travel, etc.), encouraging staff to undertake mandatory health and safety training, assisting in the recruitment of first aiders and fire wardens and acting as a first point of contact for staff on any health and safety concerns
• Ensuring that policies and procedures relating to health and safety at work are adhered to at all times.In addition, ensure professional and quality service standards are maintained and applied for the benefits of staff and students in the LLRED directorate
Why you will be hired
To be considered for this role you will require:
• A Library or other relevant postgraduate or professional qualification or equivalent experience
• Effective communication, interpersonal and clear, confident presentation skills
• Effective negotiation skills with the ability to influence others at a senior level
• Ability to deliver on significant project
• Effective leadership/management skills
• Ability to generate new ideas and recommendations for change/improvement
• Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
• Sound knowledge of the use of computer applications to facilitate access to and exploitation of electronic resources
• Sound knowledge of professionally recommended standards in library cataloguing
• Excellent customer Service provision
• Collection management and acquisitions experience
• Experience in designing and delivering information instruction
• Ability to work flexibly including evenings and weekends