£47,500 - £50,000
Knowledge and Research Manager
£47,500 – £50,000
Full Time – 35 hours a week
Our client, a Professional body in the healthcare sector, are looking for a Knowledge and Research Manager to join their established and busy Knowledge and Research (K&R) Directorate. Reporting to the Director of Knowledge and Research, this is an exciting time to be joining the body as they complete the final stages of a significant refurbishment of the building. With the support of the Knowledge and Research Co-Ordinator and working closely with the Library and Information Services Manager and the Museum Curator, this role will be responsible for a range of key projects across the Directorate specifically in relation to internal data processing and research, and the developing of a wide knowledge management programme.
The role will support the delivery of an outstanding experience for staff and Council members, research scholars and funding recipients, and external project partners which meets the College’s standards for customer service and our values.
The role’s primary focus is managing the operational delivery of the research aspects of the business plan, and the day-to-day management of the K&R department’s activities. Managing the work of the K&R Co-ordinator in relation to the provision of effective co-ordination and providing administrative support to the Director of K&R and the wider K&R department. The role will also oversee the effective administration of the Research Grants, Research Excellence Awards, and Collaborative Research projects and proposals.
The role has an important second focus on the development and evolution of the scientific research journal, Ophthalmic & Physiological Optics (OPO), working closely with the OPO Editor in Chief (a university Professor contracted by the College) and the contracted publishing partner (Wiley).
· Manage the operational delivery of the research strategy, and other aspects of the optometric research workstream, and related K&R Department work.
· Manage the Scholarships and Practice-based research streams, ensuring they are delivered effectively, and developed effectively to increase their value and benefit to all members.
· Lead the process of analysing research for key messages and lead the management of the dissemination of those messages.
· Maximise the value of all the research work of the body through the effective dissemination of project outputs; the learning of key messages from research; and an increase in member understanding of (and interest in) optometric research.
· Ensure internal business planning reporting processes are kept up to date for all K&R Department workstreams – by working with the other managers and the Director of K&R to gather the information needed to update the monthly KPI reporting sheets, and to use this information to inform team meetings and monitor progress.
· Manage research projects developed by the body, or with external partners, in line with the business planning processes of the organisation.
· Assist with and advise on research being undertaken by other College departments as appropriate.
· Working with the K&R Coordinator, manage the work of the Research Committee, ensuring that the coordinator provides effective support to the committee Chair and members, and that all papers and minutes are prepared in accordance with the agree deadlines and to agreed standards.
· Educated to degree level or equivalent knowledge management / research experience
· Managing a team and service providers
· Working with and supporting Committees and their Chairs including drafting formal Committee papers
· Stakeholder management
· Managing projects through to effective delivery
· Working with Microsoft Office
· Working or studying with academic papers and content
· Some experience in strategic planning and the ability to allocate resources effectively and manage budgets
· Effective communication and inter-personal skills, with the proven ability to manage and build and maintain relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, and the confidence to work with and liaise with scientists and senior researchers
· Copyediting and proofreading skills to suit various formats, e.g., lay summaries, newsletters, social media, press releases, website, editorials, adverts, calls for papers with the ability to edit a high volume of academic or scientific research with a commitment to accuracy and detail
· Ability to write clearly and accurately about scientific and technical issues including ability to distil complex issues and communicate them in a clear and accurate way to different audiences and write reports, briefs, and summaries for senior leadership and committee papers
· Ability to write reports, briefs, and summaries for senior leadership and committee papers
· Ability to problem solve and assert diplomacy when required
· Strong organisational skills and experience planning multi-stakeholder meetings and events