Head of Library and Information Services
Up to £55,000
35 hours a week
About the company
Our client is one of the major providers of accredited postgraduate medical education in the United Kingdom and due to an organisational restructure, now have an opportunity for an experienced individual to join their senior team.
What you’ll be doing
This role, which will report directly to the Director of Learning, is integral to the successful delivery of Library and Knowledge services, information exchange and the overall organisations’ educational portfolio. The position requires close liaison with Community of Practice (CoP) Managers, Head of Events and Sectional representatives, in order to lead and ensure effective knowledge management in the development of learning provision and the enhancement of library provision to all users and visitors. The role will also have direct line management of the Library and Knowledge Services staff.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Organisation and planning of Library and Knowledge Services resources, offering effective support to Fellows, Sections and Partners.
- Working with and setting goals for the Library and Knowledge Services team members to work with thematic teams and event Executives on the initial then ongoing successful integration of Library and Knowledge Services into the Education Department
- Lead, set and review goals to focus Library and Knowledge Services support into specific thematic activity assuring knowledge exchange and support for project working.
- Enhance standards of information literacy applying SCONUL principles into Library procedures. Ensure principles are applied to thematic project working.
- Work with and make recommendations to the Organisational Executive to achieve the further development and redesign of Library facilities.
- Integrate Library procedures into the new website and ensure staff teams contribute to site development and enhancement of web-based resources
- Provide Library information/costings to the Director of Learning for the development of strategic planning and budget management
- Lead, coach and directly manage Library and Knowledge services staff and ensure the team communicates effectively with all service users and partners and provide a legally compliant quality Library Collection service.
- Work in collaboration with other 'Heads of', to ensure education policies and procedures are inclusive of Library and Knowledge Services, knowledge exchange and the new thematic foci of the Education Strategy
- Assure future conservation and archiving of library resources are aligned to library development
- Signpost areas of good practice for collaboration, partnership working and commercial development.
- Create and ensure regular update of a quality metric dashboard for thematic performance and KPI engagement
- Develop co-operative relationships with other institutions and networks in the enhancement of knowledge exchange
- Manage external relations with stakeholders and partner organisations in the development of education and training so as to maximise the influence of the organisation
- Negotiate contracts (with publishers and suppliers) for Library and Knowledge services related products that deliver cost efficiencies and ‘value for money’ on behalf of the organisation
- Support effective communication and consistent management of organisational policies and procedures throughout the organisation
- Manage the Library and Knowledge Services team in providing support to Customer Service team e.g. in staffing Customer Service desk as required
- Monitor and ensure adherence to policies and procedures to meet legal and moral obligations in respect of but not limited to Charity Commission requirements
Why you’ll be hired
- Relevant degree (ideally Library and Knowledge based) and/or experience of managing the delivery of a full complement of Library Collections activities.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Proven track record of management of library services within educational practice
- In depth knowledge of copyright legislation
- High level of IT literacy
- Experience of Project managing change at pace
- Experience of leadership teams and non-direct reports
- Experience of budget development and management
- Ability to work under pressure and on own initiative
- Experience of contract negotiation
- Ability to manage teams within dynamic and changing environments
Why you should apply
This is an incredible opportunity to work with a highly respected and prestigious client within a senior capacity. In return you will receive a competivtive benefits package within an exciting, friendly and professional environment with full investment in you and your developing career.
This role is paying a very competitive salary of up to £55,000 plus benefits
If you are interested in learning more: Please get in touch on 020 7378 5459 or on email@example.com