DR - 26014
£16.48 - 16.48 per hour
020 7378 5459
Librarian - Cataloguing
£16.48 per hour
35 hours a week
About the company
We are presently recruiting for an enthusiastic Qualified Librarian for our Research Charity client in London. This is a 2-month Fixed Term Contract to cover a secondment within the team. You will join and work closely with a multidisciplinary Collections Team which includes librarians, archivists and documentation officers, cataloguing a broad spectrum of formats, including, monographs, serials, zines, artists books, grey literature, and audio-visual materials.
The successful candidate will hold a qualification in librarianship (or equivalent) and be able to demonstrate experience of cataloguing in MARC and RDA, plus an excellent understanding of library metadata standards. The post-holder will be genuinely interested in improving data quality and accessibility, exploring ways to engage new and existing audiences with the collections.
- To make a key contribution to the development, discoverability and accessibility of our unique and distinctive collections.
- To develop a high level of professional skill, taking a flexible approach to catalogue a wide range of library materials, with a focus on our printed and published collections.
- Cataloguing and classification, assigning subject and genre headings, and ensuring data quality in accordance with organisational specifications, user needs, and relevant national and international standards and controlled vocabularies.
- • Assisting in the administration and cataloguing of serials – cataloguing, sorting out anomalies in the ordering process and claiming for missing items
- Working adaptably across a wide range of library material, both analogue and digital
- Developing areas of specialist professional expertise (eg cataloguing ephemera, grey literature, serials) as required
- Maintaining an up-to-date professional awareness of new developments in professional library standards and practice.
- Undertaking work in accordance with organisational policies and principles.
- Undertaking any other work that may be reasonably required from time to time.
Why you’ll be hired
To be considered for this role you will require:
You’ll be an innovative and creative thinker, who feels comfortable working in an experimental, audience and outcomes-focused culture. Your strong interpersonal and analytical skills will be accompanied by the ability to develop effective, collaborative working relationships and work as part of a team to achieve results.
- Professional qualification in librarianship or an equivalent discipline.
- Sound experience of cataloguing printed / published library materials, including serials.
- · Excellent knowledge of RDA, AACR2 and MARC 21.
- Experience of using classification thesauri (NLM, LC, Barnard)
- Detailed knowledge of LCSH and MeSH
- Experience of working with special collections
- Solid experience and good understanding of library systems, particularly cataloguing, serials and acquisition-related functions.
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and take responsibility
- Ability to take an audience- and outcome-focused approach with a proven capacity to think innovatively and creatively, and a willingness to experiment with new approaches.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good organisational skills
Why you should apply
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Librarian to put their skills and knowledge to use
If you are interested in learning more information about the role.
Please get in touch on 020 7378 5468 or email Ioanna.email@example.com