Assistant Records Manager
Based: Bermondsey and Westminster (dual sites)
Salary: c. £28,000 - £32,700
1 Year Fixed Term Contract - Maternity Cover
About the company
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an organisation steeped in history that is undergoing advancement and expansion to support its members and the efficient supply of historic and current data and information.
Due to these changes our client is seeking an experienced Assistant Records Manager but not in the traditional sense. This will be a real opportunity to join at an exciting time where your desire for personal development will support this forward-thinking organisation.
Working closely with the Information Governance Officer and the Records Manager, this post will be involved in various strands of work to assist with the provision of key records and information management services to the Record Centre’s client departments.
What you will be doing
- Assisting the Records Manager with the provision of key records management services, helping to raise awareness of records management practices and helping to ensure that the Record Centre meets the needs of its client departments.
- Assisting the Information Governance Officer with the provision of key information management tasks, helping to raise awareness of information management and data protection practices and helping to ensure that client departments understand and can implement policies and procedures.
- Assisting with the development of classification schemes and retention policies for implementation across the NCIs.
- Providing advice to client departments on good records management, information governance and data protection practice in relation to both paper and electronic records. This could include structuring of information, appraisal of records, application of retention schedules, records disposal, completion and risk assessment of information asset registers; based on knowledge of their holdings, their current and future needs, awareness of current legislation and best practice in records management and data protection.
- Assisting the Records Manager to conduct Induction sessions and/or training for new staff.
- Contributing ideas, suggestions and experience in the pursuit of increasing the efficiency of work practices at the Record Centre and proposing changes to current policy where appropriate.
- Training staff and customers as necessary in CALM RM and Archive procedures.
- Assisting with the publication of records management and data protection guidance on internal web pages as necessary.
- Working in the Record Centre warehouse when necessary. This may at times involve climbing ladders and getting dusty. Ladders and overalls will be provided.
- Deputising for the Records Manager if necessary.
- Any other duties that may be required from time to time.
Who you will be
- Good standard of education, including honours degree or equivalent
- A recognised qualification in records or information management, or comparable experience
- Familiarity with current standards, issues and best practice in records management
- Knowledge of current legislation and associated guidance in data protection
- Experience of a customer focussed working environment
- Good communicator both oral and written including the ability to explain specialist issues simply to non-specialist staff at a variety of levels and to draft clear and concise written reports
- Able to work methodically and accurately
- Good IT skills, including accurate keyboard skills and familiarity with an EDRMS, CALM or similar systems
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision when required
- Able to prioritise duties, meet deadlines and work simultaneously on several projects.
- Able and willing to learn new software, new systems and new processes
- Adaptable and flexible, open to new ideas and willing to undertake further professional development.
- Good team member and team worker
- Able and willing to use own initiative and work with minimal supervision (once processes and procedures have been learnt)
- An awareness of the historical context of records - Desirable
- Active participant in networks of fellow professionals in records management and/or information governance/management - Desirable
Why I you should apply
- You will be someone that is looking for a role and an organisation where you can have a real impact on change
- You will be a people’s person who enjoys building relationships at all levels
To apply for this role please email your CV to email@example.com or call 0207 378 5459