DR - 25852
£18.24 - 18.24 per hour
020 7378 5459
Academic Support Librarian
£18.24 per hour
35 hours per week
About the company
We are actively recruiting for an Academic Support Librarian for our Higher Education client in Kent. This is a 6-month contract position, starting circa 16th September and will report to the Academic Support Manager. You will manage 2 Academic Support Assistants during this contract.
What you will be doing
PURPOSE OF ROLE
- To deliver high quality library and information support services to the academic communities
- To assist the Academic Support Manager in the planning, monitoring, and co-ordination of academic services to reflect the library collections and wider academic needs of the users
- To lead a team of Academic Support Assistants responsible for pro-active delivery and promotion of Library and Information Services that support the development of new and existing partnerships
- Act as the lead contact for one of the three Information and Library Services
• To manage, in line with policies and procedures, a small team of Academic Support Assistants to deliver a focussed set of services. The post-holder will work with the Academic Support Manager to ensure that all aspects of staff management, including staff recruitment, induction, appraisal, development and performance are maintained.
• Represent the Library Academic Support team and the academic library and information needs of all staff and students at relevant meetings and forums
• Assist the Academic Support Manager in the design and delivery of all Academic Support Services
• Provide the principal channel of communication with a number of designated academic schools, faculties or departments, anticipating and establishing the information needs and priorities of staff and students in order to improve resources and service delivery.
• Manage the specific budgets associated with the academic units allocated to the post holder, and ensure budgets are used to maximum effect, efficiency and alignment with strategic objectives.
• Ability to work without supervision, and flexibly and co-operatively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
• Develop and deliver information and learning skills courses for students and staff, using innovative and engaging techniques to enable them to make full use of library resources in print and electronic format
• Ensure students’ academic needs and expectations are evaluated, managed and met in relation to library resources and services
• Actively contribute to wider projects and other operational issues
• To provide front-line support to users in their use of the library and its services, including IT and library related enquiries, and to provide in depth support to library users when specialist knowledge is required
• When working on the Welcome Desk or other service points, to ensure the services run smoothly, including closing desks, passing on enquiries to be dealt with later, and ensuring student workers are deployed effectively, including shelving, answering enquiries and roaming. This includes Evening and Weekend duties.
• Supervise library support assistants, circulation assistants and student workers when required
• Liaison with colleagues in each of the partner institutions’ information and library services to ensure coherence and interoperability with their services
• Contribute to the development and evaluation of promotional and marketing strategies
• Provide a flexible and dynamic support structure, offering a responsive reference and enquiry service to meet the needs of learning, teaching, and research and widening participation activities.
• Implement and maintain appropriate policies and procedures
• To work at other campuses as the need arises
Why you’ll be hired
- Educated to degree level
- Relevant accredited graduate or post-graduate qualification in information management, librarianship, or equivalent
- Experience of working in a HE environment
- Experience of implementing services to diverse users with very different needs
- Experience of working with external organisations
• Experience of line managing staff
• Experience of proving academic support services such as liaison librarianship, subject librarianship, training and other similar services
• Good personal IT skills and demonstrated interest in the use of IT to deliver library and information services
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent presentation skills
• Demonstrated self-motivation and commitment to professional development
Why you should apply
This is a great opportunity for an exceptional candidate to work for this higher education client
If you are interested in learning more information about the role.
Please get in touch on 020 7378 5459 or email@example.com